8.24.2009

Historic Yuma Territorial Prison, Yuma Arizona


I have three words for you: The Dark Cell. I visited the Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park in the early morning to get there before the crowds and the heat. Surprisingly, I was the only one there, and the heat was pretty evident. It definitely slowed me down. The weather was about 90 with 40% humidity, so it felt like 100 or so. I've been here in July and August when the temperature has climbed to 122, so I guess was lucky! But I must say, I would not want to be in a 9' by 12' cell, shared with three other convicts during the summer in Yuma without A/C!
  • YC TRAVEL TIP: When visiting the historic Yuma Territorial Prison, arrive early to beat the crowds and beat the heat! Plan to stay about one hour.
There was no really famous outlaw housed there, but the museum is still quite interesting. Most of the convicts were "infamous" outlaws and committed crimes like murder, manslaughter, burglary and grand larceny. Criminals were native Mexicans, Indians, cowboys, women and "the insane." A handful received the order of death, and were hanged publicly. The actual cells and walls were built from granite mined by the prisoners, right there on site, and from homemade adobe bricks. Iron was ferried in along the Colorado River, which abuts the prison.

Some prisoners smuggled in drugs. Clippings from the local newspaper indicated they used morphine, opium and marijuana. Marijuana was described as a "loco-weed" more powerful than opium. Several attempted escapes, and some prisoners died while serving their sentences....one of a snake bite! After learning that, I decided against the walk down the trail to the river when I saw the warning about dangerous insects and reptiles. Don't miss the cheesy photo op hidden in the corner of the museum building. You get to dress up like a prisoner, hold a number and shoot next to the original prison mirror with your own camera.

Touring the cells takes you back to prison life in the 1800s, but The Dark Cell is the highlight. It was used for the "incorrigible" prisoners, sort of as solitary confinement. I just walked right in, not even considering that it might creep me out and I was immediately struck by the energy of fear and the history of pain. I could almost hear the screams (seriously). I walked through the first threshold nonchalantly, and noticed the second threshold, which was very dark, and black, and it went back like a cave. I actually turned around and ran back out! I was glad no one else was there to see me make a fool of myself. I had hair standing up on end! I challenge you to walk all the way to the back of the cell...alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment